Last updated: February 24, 2021
Personal Data. This Privacy Statement describes the type of personal data that we collect, how we use and share that data, and your choices concerning our data practices. Personal data (“Personal Data”) means any information about you from which you can be identified.
Uni Grad Education Center (UGEC) recognizes and values the privacy of its students and guests, and strives to be the leaders and best in the ways in which we manage your personal information.
“In collecting, utilizing, and releasing information about individuals associated with the university, the Center will strive to protect individual privacy, to use information only for the purpose for which it was collected, and to inform individuals of the personal information about them that is being collected, used, or released.”
In principle, UGEC strives to:
• Collect, store, and use the minimum amount of personal information that is necessary for its legitimate business purposes, and to comply with legal obligations.
• Take reasonable steps to ensure the personal information we manage is accurate and up-to-date.
• Limit who has access to the personal information in our possession to only those who need it for a legitimate, specific purpose.
• Protect personal information through appropriate physical and technical security measures tailored to the sensitivity of the personal data we hold.
• Communicate with our students, faculty, employees, suppliers, partners, and others about how we use personal information in our day-to-day operations.
• Provide opportunities to control your personal information, as permitted by applicable United States and other laws.
• Integrate privacy in the design of our activities when that involves the use of personal data.
How We Collect Information
UGEC collects personal information in the following circumstances:
• Direct Collection: When you directly provide it to us, such as when you sign up for a newsletter or other information one of our websites.
• Automated Processes: Through automated processes. This includes information you provide us through technology, such as through a cookie placed on your computer when you visit our websites.
• From Others: We receive information from other organizations for legitimate, specific purposes (for example, transcripts for admissions purposes).
Our goal is to limit the information we collect to the information needed to support our business.
What Type of Information Do We Collect
During a user visit to the website, we automatically collect and store certain information about the visit. Information collected includes:
• The Internet domain from which a visitor accesses the website
• The IP address assigned to the visitor’s computer
• The type of browser the visitor is using
• The date and time of visit
• The address of the website from which the visitor has linked to
While using or service, we may ask you to provide us with certain personally identifiable information that can be used to contact or identify you. Personally, identifiable information may include, but is not limited to:
• Email address
• First and last name
• Phone number
• Educational Qualifications
• Current Resident area
We may collect other information to assist us in maintaining or managing our systems, diagnosing problems, assisting you with a help request, or informing investigations.
In addition, the UGEC collects information from users that visit our websites or through UGEC contracted-for third-party advertising and marketing providers (ex: Google Analytics, and Google Adworks). Information collected may include:
• Content viewed during the visit
• Date and time of visit
• Amount of time spent on the website
• Visitor location based on IP address
• Demographic information
• Search terms entered on the website
UGEC website also may provide opportunities for site visitors to voluntarily provide personally identifiable information, such as their email address, name, telephone number or street address, but is not limited to this.
How This Information Is Used
UGEC collects and uses information about user visits to allow to monitor website performance, make improvements to site navigation and content, and better market to prospective students and other audiences.
UGEC may also collect and use personal information provided by site visitors for educational programs (e.g., related to admission), administrative purposes (e.g., related to employment), or university engagement (e.g., attending a university sponsored event).
We may occasionally process other personal information for other legitimate and specific purposes. When these situations occur, we will endeavor to inform you of such occasional processing activities, since transparency is one of our core principles for using personal information for the purposes for which it was collected.
With Whom This Information Will Be Shared
UGEC does not sell or rent your personal information. We may, however, share your personal information in limited circumstances, such as with service providers that support business activities. We require our service providers to keep your personal information secure. We do not allow our service providers to use or share your personal information for any purpose other than providing services on our behalf.
We may also share your personal information when required by law, or when we believe sharing will help to protect the safety, property, or rights of the university, members of the university community, and university guests.
What Choices You Can Make About Your Information
To enhance your experience, we may place “cookies” on your computer or device. Cookies are files that store your preferences. When you access umich.edu, the following cookies may be placed on your device, depending on your web browser settings. Our website uses the following types of cookies.
Social Media Plugins
How Information Is Secured
The UGEC recognizes the importance of maintaining the security of the information it collects and maintains, and we endeavor to protect information from unauthorized access and damage. The UGEC strives to ensure reasonable security measures are in place, including physical, administrative, and technical safeguards to protect your personal information.
Privacy Notice Changes
The Privacy Statement is subject to change at any time, and the revision date will be noted here. We encourage users to regularly review the Privacy Statement for any changes. We will notify you if we make any material changes, pursuant to the applicable law.
Who to Contact with Questions or Concerns
If you have any concerns or questions about how your personal data is used, please contact our Office at